Friday, September 3, 2010

When Words Are Empty and Friends Are Few

It's mid-morning on February 12, 2008. I'm at work. The phone rings. It's Tracy. She asks me if I'm sitting down. There's a tone in her voice that indicates something serious has happened. She tells me Cathy died in a car accident that morning. Death number one.

It's mid-morning on February 21, 2008. I'm at work. The phone rings. It's Tracy. She asks me if I'm sitting down. Her tone is different this time - something happened again but this time it's in our family. "Please God, not one of the kids." She tells me my Dad died that morning. Death number two.

It's midday on November 6, 2008. I'm at home. The phone rings. It's Tina. There's something wrong. Maryla has been hospitalized and is in a coma. She's not expected to live much longer. Basia is flying in tomorrow. We're getting together to say our good-byes. On November 11, 2008 Maryla passes away. Death number three.

It's the beginning of August 2009.  The phone rings.  It's Tracy.  There's something wrong.  It's her sponsor, Sharon.  The cancer is aggressive and it's only a matter of time.  She's not suffering much.  Hospice is called in.  Only Tracy and Sharon's family are allowed to be there during the final hours.  She dies August 20th.  Death number four.

It's later in the afternoon on April 12th, 2010. I'm at home. The phone rings. It's my Mom. She asks me if I'm sitting down. There's a tone in her voice that says something serious has happened. "Please God, not one of my sisters." She tells me Aaron is in the hospital unconscious - they don't know if he's going to make it. Four days later, Aaron dies. Death number five.

Five people in twenty-six months. That averages one death every 5.2 months. Significant loss. Deep hurt. Unconsolable grief. The more times death happens the closer I pull into myself and the more I distance myself from friends. Nothing can prepare you for this kind of loss.

Nothing should have to.